Tuesday, September 6, 2011

A leadership lesson from Uganda's history...

In 1974 Janani Luwum became the Archbishop of Uganda, Rwanda, Burundi and Boga-Zaire. On February 16, 1977 he was murdered by the President of Uganda, Edi Amin. 

Why would a president kill an archbishop?

During his lifetime many Christians believed that the Christian life meant complete separation from the world. Luwum was the opposite he believed that Christianity meant sanctification of power not renunciation. 

To this end he personally confronted the President over his persecution of religious groups and their leaders. In December 1976 radio address he shared, “I do not know for how long I shall be occupying this chair. I live as though there will be no tomorrow. I face daily being picked up by the soldiers. While the opportunity is there, I preach the gospel with all my might, my conscience is clear before God that I have not sided with the present government, which is utterly self-seeking. I have been threatened many times. Whenever I have the opportunity I have told the President the things the churches disapprove of. God is my witness.”

When Amin brought false charges against Luwum that he was seeking to work with Milton Obote to overthrow the government he did not fight to defend himself. Instead he simply whispered to his fellow bishops, "I can see the hand of the Lord in this." And with that he was taken to the Presidents chambers, never to return.

What is the lesson? 

Janani Luwum feared God not man. 

He understood that the cost of discipleship was great (costing even his life).  

But he also understood that he was to be a light in the world... not a light distant or removed from the world. And so, he used his position of Archbishop to speak for other who couldn't speak for themselves (the broken, abused, persecuted and afflicted) rather than seeking his own comfort, power or gain.  

Janani Luwum is a leader from the past who sets a great example for the leaders of today and the leaders of tomorrow! 

1 comment:

  1. This sermon has spoken to my life and i now understand the cost of following Jesus.Many times leaders think that being a leader is just being respected by others in the society but it is more than that.Friends, i took time to reflect on what cost i can pay(loosing people i love most, my job am proud of,relatives, sickness and many others)and i realized that i need to get more serious in my journey of Christianity. Those who think the same way like me, please lets repent to God and start our Journey of salvation very serous and be ready to pay the cost, no matter what it takes.

    Posted by Joseline@gbiuganda.org

    ReplyDelete